Thursday, June 14, 2012

Running for pennies, nickels, dimes, or whatever comes my way

This morning was a good morning.  As I ran around my regular four mile loop, in the wee morning hours, I saw something on the ground.  It had a shimmer thanks to the street light above.  As I got closer, I slowed my run down to pick it up.  Too my surprise, it was a quarter!  I don't find quarters too often.  I smiled and put it in my fuel belt, finishing my run, looking for more of course.

I find pennies most of the time.  But, I feel extra special when I rescue a nickel, dime or quarter off the street. It doesn't matter what type of coin it is, I pick it up.  Sometimes I put store in my fuel belt, like this morning.  Sometimes, if I find two pennies, I will put one in each hand and kinda hold it with my finger tips or fidget with it while I run.  It gives my hands something to do.  

I'm getting pretty good at finding money in the wee morning hours, under street lamps.  After nine years of running, I should be.  But, sometimes you get those shimmers, and reflections and you bend over to pick it up, thinking it's some sort of coin, and DAMN it's stuck to the road and NOT a coin!  Oh well.  There will be weeks that I can go running, on my same route, and NEVER find a coin.  Then, like this week, BAM!  I found a penny on Tuesday's run and a quarter on this morning's run. 

I feel like I'm rescuing the "unwanted" coins off the street.  It brings a smile to my face each time I find a coin during my runs or out on a walk.  And, it does the same for Ms. B, my toddler, who gets to add it to her piggy bank when I get home.

I think the most I have ever found was $1.00 in coins on one run.  I thought I hit the jack pot!  My sister-in-law found a $20 bill while running once.  So, just remember, while you're out there hitting the pavement working out - keep a look out for some money on the ground.  You never know when you'll leave your house to exercise around the neighborhood and come back a little richer!



No comments:

Post a Comment